Skip to main content

Survey: 2 in 3 young people have not started investing

Gen Y or Millenials (the cooler sounding name). That's me!
Picture from Huffingtonpost














An article (see here: Survey: 2 in 3 young people have not started investing) in the Sunday Times by GYC got me thinking.

I am unsure of the intent of the survey but I assume that it is meant to set younger people thinking about the purpose of investing and hopefully, more will be receptive.

If the earlier generation, say, the parents of millennials are already finding it difficult to save for retirement, I can't help but fear how we, millennials, will fare.

Not knowing how to invest

The young people of my time grew up in an environment where information is easily accessible. So it came as a shock when I saw in the article that one of the reasons cited were a 'lack of financial knowledge'. 61 per cent of the two thirds do not invest because they do not know how to.

If I went back into time, I will have cited that reason also.. Two biggest influences are family and school at that age. Schools probably don't go about teaching about investing. How many students will be interested anyway? Hence, I think that the family plays even a bigger role. If I may, make an assumption, it is that the parents of the 61 percent simply didn't know about investing or they didn't want to stress their children. I only knew about a POSB Savings account.

Returning back to the present, the turning point came when I started to read useful investment books and articles written by local financial bloggers. This reason of not knowing how to is an excuse.

Not having enough money to invest

59 percent cited this reason. On one hand, I totally agree. Perhaps there are urgent priorities. We should ensure we have the basics like emergency funds done right first. Millenials will continue to graduate from schools and all the employment news aren't exactly rosy now. Emergency funds must be done right first.

On the other hand, I think we simply have too many spending potholes. It's a social thing to talk about drinking, partying at some club and bleeding our wallets. I'm not saying we should not be doing all this, but we need to know where we stand. I believe in 'YOLO' but sacrifices needs to be made. If done right, budgeting is a godsend.

There are many simplified products that are suitable for our current appetite for risk and returns. We just have to do some homework.

What is the conclusion? 

The survey is accurate because it does seem that my peers are also citing those reasons.

To me, there is only one way. Invest. Not knowing how to is a lame excuse frankly. Of course, we may not get it right, but do not dismiss investing even before trying.

It pains me when my peers ask if I have lost money already. I only hope to fight inflation and use the time value of money to grow my money. Singapore is already one of the most expensive cities, and it is going to be that way.

I have tried to put this across and given up trying to explain. I only said that in time they will understand how I did. I may not have huge sums of money to invest now, but I am and still getting slightly richer in financial knowledge now.

I think on this, we as millennials need to work harder. I believe we can. We have information like no other generation of the past had.

Till next time,
Mr K.






Comments

  1. Unfortunately, too many people in the millennial generation have lost faith in the economy and have an "oh well" attitude when it comes to investing. Investing is always a risk but could pay off when it comes to one's future and retirement. Parents should spend more time talking about investing and millennials should spend more time researching and learning the positives of investing.

    Clayton Smith @ Blue Line Planning

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Value-for-money: Kinokuniya or Booksdepository

Meet Kinokuniya and Books Depository.  The former has physical brick-and-mortar and online stores while the latter is solely an online retailer.  For all the book lovers out there, I am sure these are some of the places we go in order to satisfy our book cravings. Kinokuniya was where I picked up my first book on investing. I summarised some of my thoughts on that book here . Since then, I have bought at least 6 other books on investment and other genres that cost at least $200 in total from Kinokuniya.  Book lovers should also know that Kinokuniya is not the cheapest for pricing. I came to know Books Depository  recently, and boy is there a huge difference in price.  Let's compare an investment book, say  Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings.  On Books Depository : $18.56, original price: $30.03  On Kinokuniya : $37.40, member's price: $33.66    If we are to compare prices only, then we have a clear winner here. Kinokuniya is st

My Insurance Policies

Too expensive. A waste of money. I don't need insurance. I don't know how much I'm covered. My parents bought insurance for me and handles it.  These are just some of what people say. I've had some friends who said that when the topic is broached.  Insurance isn't easy to understand at all!  So many policies, so many insurers.   To be honest, I'll still choose to let my parents handle it all. But I'm no longer a little boy. I took it upon myself to understand all my policies that my parents bought and which are the policies that I bought on my own. As to how it really started, other than me turning 21, it was also partly due to me wanting to know what I am actually buying.  So it is time to look into the policies I have. Readers who know more about insurance, feel free to correct me on any point. Gladly appreciate it!  Life Insurance CPF Dependents Protection Scheme Covers every CPF member from 21 years old and insures $46,000 in even

Transitioning into an 'investor'

Nobody said it was going to be easy. I admit that I feel like giving up sometimes. Well, it's only human to choose the easiest path out. For the second half of 2015, I have been actively seeking higher returns on my savings in bank accounts, been busy reading about the current economy, markets and checking the Straits Times Index (STI). After these few months, I'd would to think that I have improved slightly in developing the mindset, slowly but surely transitioning into becoming an 'investor'.  Hunting for free money  In the later half of 2015, I have opened up an additional bank account: CIMB FastSaver which offers 1% p.a with no strings attached. I have not started work and I have not paid for my own bills to earn higher interest in local banks(e.g the OCBC 360 account)  When I shared with my parents and friends, they were skeptical. A Malaysian bank? Perhaps it doesn't inspire much confidence when they see